Friday, March 16, 2012

Self Motivational People Refuse to Be Victims

If you really want success then you need to be self motivational. If you want to be self motivational then you need to refuse to be a victim. What do I mean refuse to be a victim? If every time something goes wrong in your life you say "why has this happened to me?" then you see yourself as a victim. If you work hard to achieve something and it doesn't come off but you see others less able than yourself achieve what you strive for if you say "how come they get all the luck?" then again you see yourself as a victim.

How do self motivational people avoid victim hood and how can you get out of it? The simple answer is to take responsibility for your life. I said simple but not necessarily easy. Victim hood is a mindset and as such not easy to change unless you really want to do so. What do I mean? Well for some people playing the role of victim gives them a nice comfort blanket to hold on to and so gives them a nice excuse to say "I tried, it didn't work so I am giving up". You don't ever want to find that place in your life, ever. When you play the victim it allows you to blame others for your situation instead of taking responsibility yourself. If your first response to a negative situation is to complain then you are playing the victim and be sure victims only succeed at one thing and that is being a victim.

Self motivational people who take responsibility for their lives also take action. You may say I have tried to be self motivational. I have established my goals, I have written them down and I have drawn up a plan. You may even say I have visualized achieving my goal by carrying out my plan. This is all good stuff but what is missing is taking action to implement the plan and move towards the goal. That's where the real responsibility lies and when you begin to take action you feel empowered rather than a victim.

OK so you may be saying "but I did take action and I failed". Don't ever tell yourself you have failed or you are only confirming your victim status. If the outcome you have achieved is not the result you wanted realize that is what it is, an outcome other than the one you wanted. Learn from it and take different action, remember Thomas Edison had 10,000 attempts at discovering the electric light bulb. He never considered any of his previous attempts as failures just the wrong outcome from which he learned and set about moving towards his goal. One of my favorite quotes is from Napoleon Hill who is the grandfather of the Self Motivational movement. He said "When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more towards your coveted goal." His greatest book was Think and Grow Rich, see it and other classics on the Self Motivational Book-list I published recently on my blog.

Here is another empowering self motivational fact: you may not have control over what life throws at you but you do have control over how you respond. You can either respond as a victim or as a self motivational person who takes responsibility for the outcome and does something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment